Sunday Evening Tired – The Sequel!


Holy moly! Where do I begin? It’s late! I should be on my way to bed. Instead, I’m just waking up from a loooong nap. My mom said that I could stay up for an hour then I had to go back to bed. You thought I was tired last Sunday evening, well today I couldn’t even keep my eyes open when I got home. It was competition weekend and we won big – at least bigger than we’ve ever won before! It all started on Friday. I went to school as usual, but one of the older girls in my dance studio had a solo competing and she was scheduled to perform before lunch time, so she got out of school all day. When I got home, I had dinner and then off we went to the competition, where two other girls from my studio performed Friday night. I went to go support them and after they danced, we went home so I could get ready for Saturday, write my Friday night blog post, and go to bed early. On Saturday morning, I got up early, ate a big breakfast, and off again to the place where the competition was being held. Just after lunch, three groups of dancers from my studio competed. Two of those groups were at their first competition and danced in the 5 – 6 age range. After they danced, I went back home to get my hair and make-up done and to eat lunch, then we packed up to go back to the competition site. I had three dances competing on Saturday. My first call time was at 3:45 p.m. There was a trio that performed from my Company first, then I danced a duet with an older girl in my Company, who is a really, really good dancer. We went on around 5:35 p.m. Then I had to hurry and go change my clothes for a small group number that performed just after 6:00 p.m. After we danced, I went again to get my make-up done and change into the costume for our last number of the night, a large group number that performed around 8:40 p.m. I had a two hour break before the last number, so I got to watch other girls from my studio perform in two more small group numbers and I could eat and rest. The awards ceremony was held at 9:00 p.m. My duet was a musical theater number to the song Strongest Suit from the Broadway musical, Aida. My small group dance was a jazz dance called Postman, and we danced to the song Return to Sender by Elvis Presley (who my mom loves, by the way). And then our final dance on Saturday was Beetlejuice and it was in the open category, which is a mix of all dance types. We had tomb stone props and everything! There were almost 700 hundred dances over the three days of competition in all different categories broken down by age group, division (which is how much time you spend in the dance studio during the week), and by the number of people in each dance (solos, duets and trios, small groups, large groups, and lines). So, chances are each of your dances is competing against another 40 to 50 dances at least.


Well, Strongest Suit got gold and placed 11th overall in its category. Postman got a platinum and placed 1st overall in its category! Beetlejuice got a high gold and placed 7th overall in its category! Then, at the end of the night, Postman received the overall high score in its age group (teen – even though I am only 11, thank you very much)! We got a big trophy!!! By the time I got home on Saturday night, it was almost 11:00 p.m. I took off my make-up and fell into bed. Then it was back to the competition this morning for one more dance. My call time was at 10:45 a.m. We danced around 12:45 p.m. to Knock on Wood. It was a small group jazz dance. We had lunch and then went to awards at 3:00 p.m. We scored a high gold and got 13th overall. In all, it was a really good weekend. Actually, this is my fourth year doing dance competitions, and this is the best our dance company has ever done!! Every single dance that competed scored in the overalls – even the little kids’ dances! It was awesome! When I got home around 5:00 p.m., I was Sunday Evening Tired – The Sequel! This brings me back to the beginning of tonight’s post and now I have to go back to bed. Good night!